1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
I ran my first 5k. I also got my first full time writing job.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did my best at the beginning of the year (just like everyone else) but fell short on most of my resolutions. I made some for 2012 but included achievable tasks so that I’ll be more likely to get them accomplished. I also didn’t resolve to do something like ‘keep the house clean’ because I don’t give a shit about that. At the end of the year I don’t want to look back and say, “Man, I really kept a clean house.” That’s not worth my time.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope. No babies in 2011 but there will be at the beginning of 2012. I can’t wait to smell some new baby heads.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Just the one in which I live.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Financial stability. A defined waistline.
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
This year was pretty uneventful (in a good way). I do remember my first day at my new job was February 28th. It was the first time I’d be going to work full time since having Avery. It was harder on me than her.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
My job! I complain about my job a lot (not on my blog or Twitter, of course. I have class.) but it really has been a great opportunity for me and my family.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not sticking with my weight loss and running programs once I got a job. I will, of course, be getting back on track soon.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had several bladder and intestinal-related issues. It was quite a bizarre year for my lower half.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My cell phone, an HTC Inspire. It’s my first smart phone and I feel like it has changed my life. It’s also a big distraction.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Hubby’s. Jacob is the most stable, level-headed, calm person I’ve ever met. When he is faced with challenges he doesn’t act like a pussy about it. He is a problem solver and one who rolls with the punches. He didn’t get the promotion we were so sure he was going to get a couple of months ago but he dusted himself off and got over it. I was more hurt by him not getting it than he was!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I’m not here to put anyone on blast. He/She knows what he/she did.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Down the fucking drain. We have got to get a grip on our spending.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Going on vacation back in August with my hubby. Five days alone in Austin with the love of my life? WIN!
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
“Born This Way,” Lady Gaga. And I love that song too.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) Happier or sadder? Same. Happy in a different way. Fulfilled in a different way than last year.
b) Thinner or fatter? Thinner. But not by much.
c) Richer or poorer? Richer, yet we still don’t have any money.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Sleep. Spend more quality time with Avery. Write more for myself (not for work).
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With puffy eyes and a sad heart. Thankfully, my in-laws cheered me up with baking, laughter, and great food. I went to a snack-filled awkward evening at my step-sister’s house Christmas night, then hosted a brunch at my house the morning of December 26th with my mom and step-dad.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
Absolutely. My husband and daughter make me fall for them more and more every year.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
We canceled our cable over the summer and don’t even have a receiver for basic channels so I haven’t watched much TV this year. I used to watch Glee and The Office but now I don’t watch much of anything.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don’t hate anyone but I am very disappointed in some people.
24. What was the best book you read?
Sadly, I didn’t read much this year even though I intended to. I read the Hunger Games series and it was very good.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Maroon 5. They’re not new but I didn’t really get into them until this year.
26. What did you want and get?
A week of vacation with my hubby.
27. What did you want and not get?
A new e-reader.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I didn’t see many movies this year. The final Harry Potter movie was amazing.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 28 this year and I had hibachi with my family.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
It would have helped to have more money. I feel like hubby is always stressed out because of money. I wish we had more just so that he’d relax.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
When I got my job I had to figure out how to dress up for work. I started wearing more dresses and skirts because they’re really fucking comfortable. I have spent this year trying to figure out my own personal style. I really have no idea what it is just yet but I’m getting there.
32. What kept you sane?
Jacob and Avery are the best at keeping me from losing my shit.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Adam Levine. Just… unh.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
I was relieved that Don’t Ask Don’t Tell was repealed.
35. Who did you miss?
No one. Everyone I need are close by.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
OMG my entire team at work. Those four ladies are fucking hilarious. They make my hard days easier to handle.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
If you put good things into the universe then the universe will give you good things in return. In turn, if you put bad things into the universe you will get it right back.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“My heart’s a stereo, it beats for you so listen close- hear my thoughts in every note.”