This post is going to be quick and dirty (just how your mom likes it) since I have a lot to say but am entirely too lazy to devote a post to each item. Let’s bullet-point this shit.
- My first week as a stay-at-home mom has been stellar! Other than being in pain (which I’ll get into in a moment), Avery and I have had a good time. We baked, did some crafts, cleaned, and snuggled. It’s been really nice and I’m glad and very lucky that I get to stay home with her and the new baby. Also, not having to spend two hours in the car everyday has made me a more pleasant person. I’m sure that I’m still kind of a bitch (sorry Jacob) but remove the commute element and bam! Happy Lauren is happy.
- On Sunday night, I slipped on a wet tile floor (while running… I know.) and slammed my left hip onto the floor. The baby is okay- I went to my midwife and got checked out just to be on the safe side- but I’m NOT okay. My pubic bone is en fuego and not in a good way. It hurts to move. I have been to the chiropractor three times this week to get realigned and adjusted and it has helped a little bit but I still hurt. Taking hot baths feels good and eases the pain but not much else helps. I’m going to continue to see the chiropractor until I have the baby so hopefully by then I won’t be in as much pain. Or, it won’t matter because there will be a human coming out of me so I won’t be able to distinguish one throbbing crotch pain over another.
- I hate the name we have picked out for the baby. There is no logical reason why I dislike it, but I do. I can’t stand it. When I imagine saying his name, Xavier isn’t what comes out of my mouth. So while we’ve already told everyone that Xavier is his name, it isn’t going to be. Tonight, we sat around and tossed names at each other. I think one of them stood out more than the others on our very VERY short list of names we actually like. I may just keep my mouth shut about it until he’s born in case we (I) change our (my) minds again. Thankfully, Jacob isn’t being a jerk (he’s never a jerk though, so I’m not surprised) about the whole thing and is agreeable to the name change. He’s a trooper.
- I just ate a slice (okay, TWO slices) of homemade banana bread that I put so much butter on that I could barely taste the bread. I love butter. Not by itself, of course. Okay. Sometimes by itself.
- My 38-week prenatal appointment is tomorrow and I hope the midwife checks me to see if I have dilated at all. I’m curious. Avery was taken from my body at 38 weeks, 4 days and that’s what I’ll be tomorrow. I wasn’t dilated with her at this point (until they gave me drugs) so I’m interested to see if my body is opening up unlike last time. These two pregnancies have been very different but in a good way. I don’t think I could handle hypertension and bed rest and all of that hospital shit a second time.
- This week, I wanted to stick to a sort-of schedule so that Avery and I would have some structure during our day. I knew that being strict about it wouldn’t work for us and I’m glad that I just kind of winged it this week. The only things we do at the same time everyday are eat (breakfast between 8:30-9:30, lunch around 12-12:30) and nap (we lay down around 1pm and hopefully she’s asleep by 1:30; she usually sleeps for about an hour and a half). There is some freedom to do whatever we feel like and I think it works for the time being. Maybe I’ll do a “typical day for Lauren and Avery” post next week. That might be fun. Or not. I make no promises.